[kwlug-disc] Linux advocacy, was: Linux Marketshare

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 10:25:36 EST 2010

Just to play the devil's advocate. My mom would argue this issue with
me whenever I tried to get her to use Linux (or anyone else in my
family for that matter).

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Insurance Squared Inc.
<gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
> 1) friends and family on linux.  Evaluate whether they actually have apps
> that must run on windows.  If not, wipe, and install linux on their machine
> for them.  Sell it as 'I'll make your computer go faster and look better'.

What if the computer's user is very resistant to change. And I don't mean
that new things scare them because change is necessarily bad, but rather
that any change in the UI confuses the user greatly. Apparently my
grandparents are like this: if the name, shape, size, or colour of the "Mail"
icon on the desktop changes at all then they can no longer check their
mail, thinking that the mail program is "gone".

Supposedly even things as small as changing widgets or colours of the
windowing system can confuse users as well. Admittedly, this is yet
another education issue with Linux vs "that thing that my computer
came with when I bought it", but I would like to hear what other people
think.

> 2) For those in the computer retail business, here's what I'd consider doing
> now that linux is desktop ready.  Offer a "new computer for $150".

I like this idea. :)