[kwlug-disc] Linux Marketshare

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Tue Feb 2 09:25:42 EST 2010

Sigh.  1%?

There's some historical perspective as well though. Some of those
windows desktops are many years old.  IMO linux has only recently come
into it's own as a desktop - 5 years ago I don't think it was useful for
joe sixpack, now it's one of the better desktop OS's.    Another
interesting stat would be the growth of linux on the desktop, as well as
the acceleration of the growth.

 From a marketing spin, I'd say that it's managed to capture 20% of the
size of Apple without a dollar in advertising spend.  And there's twice
as many linux desktops as there are Iphones; and there's a lot of iphones.

Still, I don't think it's reached the tipping point yet.  I think it
will eventually.  5 years ago linux desktop was not better than windows
for joe sixpack.  now it is a better OS for them.  We can now sit smugly
in our 'better OS' perspective, as if we're a bunch of Mac users, and
wait for the rest of the world to catch up.