[kwlug-disc] What's the best desktop distribution?

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 08:21:08 EST 2010

William Park wrote:
>     - Slackare uses 'tar.xz' (was: 'tar.gz') as container.  It usually
>       has a script to do things after extracting the tarball, mostly
>       creating symlinks.  This is simple, fast, transparent, and robust.
>       Again, an order of magnitude faster than other distro, in terms of
>       cpu time and user time.
>
>     - Slackware depends less on online depository.  So, you download
>       original source, compile, install to DESTDIR, make ".txz" package,
>       and finally install to system.  You can install directly into
>       system after compiling, but that would make uninstalling
>       difficult.  Slackware has no "dependency" issue, at all.  Again,
>       saving me time.

The thing I like most about Debian and its kin is the repository.
Having one mechanism to manage security patches to packages is the
killer app for Linux over Windows as far as I am concerned.  This
probably applies to the Red Hat family now too, given the advent of yum.

How does Slackware approach this problem, if at all?