[kwlug-disc] Free e-waste drop off?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 24 18:11:19 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 09:08:11PM -0500, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> So you folks don't have to pay to get rid of stuff when I drop off my
> junk at your doorstep?  Do you make money from the recycling?  I'm just
> curious if my bringing my junk to you is a positive or negative for you,
> or if I should be dropping it off at Staples.

My understanding is that we no longer pay to send e-waste downstream. We
get a small amount of money from OES for refurbishing and reselling
systems. We may get a small amount of money for sending e-waste
downstream but my impression is that it is not much.

I do not know the numbers, so I could be wrong about this. But that is
my current understanding. Charles can fill in more details if he
wants.

Anything that we will likely refurbish and resell is a positive as
compared to dropping things off at Staples. Stuff that is totally
unusable may be a small negative, but probably not worrying about.Even
when we had to pay to have e-waste sent downstream, computers
themselves were only a small negative -- it was really broken CRTs,
printers and scanners that were hurting us financially.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org