[kwlug-disc] 64bit installs

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Dec 23 12:23:17 EST 2010

(-:

Actually Glenn, here's a thought ...

You could load up 64-bit Kubuntu, then run 32-bit Mandriva within a
vm, until you're completely comfortable with the new OS.

I sure get the 'need to be productive in a familiar environment' in
the meantime. IIRC, since you didn't have sufficiently capable
hardware until now, this migration strategy wasn't an option for you,
before now.

	For that matter, running a vm against files on another computer isn't
all that bad. You could run this vm on any computer. Or run against
local file storage, and back it up every so often. Even on 'non-vm'
hardware, if that's all it's doing, isn't excruciating in a pinch.