[kwlug-disc] 64bit installs

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Dec 23 11:51:44 EST 2010

There is a great difference between i386 and i686 32-bit OS performance.
Not using SSE in i386 substantially reduces numerical and multimedia
capability.  The difference between i686 and 64-bit AMD64 is much less
noticeable unless processes are running out of memory.  Since ubuntu
only offers i386 and amd64 kernels, the fast 32-bit option is not easily
available there.

Still, since you will be hard pressed to find a 32-bit processor these
days (even Atoms are 64-bit), I'm with Cedric on moving forward and
leaving 32-bit OSes to the hobbyists.