[kwlug-disc] OT: Giant 128-port switches: free

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 15 18:45:04 EST 2010

(For those at KWartzlab: sorry for the double post)

At Computer Recycling, we have two giant 100 megabit DES-6000
switches. They have 128 ports each, so you can have them both and fill
up your Class C network.

Here is a webpage!
http://www.superwarehouse.com/D-Link_DES-6000_9_Slot_Modular_Gigabit_Switch/DES-6000/ps/364444

The switches are supposedly managed. Unfortunately we have spent quite
a bit of time trying to get into the management interface. We went as
far as asking D-Link for a backdoor password -- which they provided!
Unfortunately the backdoor password worked exactly once, and then
stopped working after a reboot. (Yes, we tried changing the
administrator passwords before the reset. No, it didn't work.) So as
far as we know these are 128-port unmanaged switches.

If they don't find a good home they will be taken off to the e-waste
"re-education camp", which seems like a real shame. (Unfortunately,
that is the same reason they have sat on our shelves for two years.)

Take one or both of them for free. You can come down to computer
recycling, or give Charles a call beforehand: 519-743-1151 x225 .

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org