[kwlug-disc] 64bit upgrade bugs

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Mon Dec 13 09:19:54 EST 2010

I've just upgraded my desktop both hardware wise and to a 64 bit version
of mandriva, having some bumps.  Wondering if anyone has thoughts on
debugging the following:
1) "cat /proc/meminfo" shows 3.5gigs of ram.  Shouldn't it be showing 4
gigs, particularly now that I'm on a 64 bit OS?
2) Every time I open firefox or thunderbird I get an error "Failed to
contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to
enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, ".  Can't seem to diagnose this,
google isn't helping.
3) No sound, and I'm pretty sure it's to do with the motherboard.  How
do I  start diagnosing sound issues?
4) my printer shows up as a scanner.  what?  I don't know what to make
of that.

g.