[kwlug-disc] FLOSS Karaoke software?

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Wed Dec 8 16:36:08 EST 2010

Hi all,

Today I was informed that Santa is bringing a karaoke system to my home
in a few weeks.  After some checking around, I was told that such a
system can be built with appropriate software on a PC.  I know that
there are karaoke aficionados on this list, so here is are the
questions:

1) Can one build a reasonable karaoke system on a PC?

2) Can it be done with FLOSS?

There is a package in ubuntu repos called Performous ("A karaoke, band
and dancing game" ).  Does anyone have experience with it?  One thing
I'm concerned about is media to feed this system.  Is Performous
compatible with readily available karaoke formats?  I don't mind
spending money on a few disks of songs with words and bouncy pointers.

Side thought: Karaoke+Mythbuntu=?

Thanks!
Lori