[kwlug-disc] new computer

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Mon Dec 6 16:26:34 EST 2010

The cost differential from single to dual-core is almost nothing.  The
savings might get you a refurbished keyboard.

Dual-core to quad is another story.  There is still a premium for four
cores.  For basic desktop use, a fast(er) dual-core is more satisfying
than a quad.  What is the user doing with this computer?  Mail and web?
Then two cores are probably enough.

AMD appears to be a better value at the moment.  I like them because I
can get server features (ECC memory) and good graphics on a desktop
motherboard for less than a basic Intel motherboard.  This really only
pertains to DIY/custom builds.  If you choose to go that way, see what
is on sale at Canada Computers.  Maybe something like this:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_340&item_id=031175

With onboard video, you won't even need a graphics card. And you get
USB3.  With a little more shopping
(http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_64&item_id=033429), you can find the parts for a great $300 workstation.

Don't want to build it yourself, then see what's on sale at Dell.