[kwlug-disc] My Ubuntu 10.4 will only start about 1 out of 4 times

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Mon Aug 30 23:55:56 EDT 2010

Honestly, I think you would be better off with 64-bit Ubuntu on that
system.  I use it on all my desktop and laptop systems and Flash in
10.04 just works.

Using a 32-bit Ubuntu kernel is a real step back into the 20th century
because it is 386 code - not even 686.  You are giving up SSE and
many/most of the significant architectural advances in your 930 CPU.

Have you checked the md5sum on your install media?

I find the Nvidia driver only works properly if you uninstall nouveau.
See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia#Common%
20Issues

Does the system boot with nouveau, leaving out the NVIDIA proprietary
driver?  Could be a conflict between these two.