[kwlug-disc] upgrading hardware/64bit OS

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Mon Aug 30 18:58:46 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
> You don't need to move to 64-bit to see more than 4gigs of RAM. You
> can use the PAE Kernel (Physical Address Extension). I use it on my
> server with 6 gigs of RAM, running Fedora 10 32-bit, runs just fine.
>
> I am not sure if there is a Mandriva PAE kernel, you'd have to go
> looking.

There is a difference though. When in PAE mode a single 32 bit process cannot access more than 4GB  of memory. That means that if you are running a database or Apache in threaded mode or any other single process server you can't effectively use lots of memory.

in 64 bit a single process can access the entire memory.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware