[kwlug-disc] Debugging for memory use

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Aug 30 12:35:09 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 12:13 -0400, Chris Irwin wrote:
> Maybe it could be thumbnails. If I start browsing around, could nautilus
> be hanging on to thumbnails in memory? I suppose I'll have to do a basic
> comparison of memory usage.

Every time I open a nautilus window, usage jumps by about 40MB. It does
not go away when I close it. It's a ticking time bomb!

I decided to disable the desktop icons, but it seems that nautilus is
still running, but with no window showing. I killed it, and it just
respawned in it's windowless state, ready to steal memory at it's
earliest convenience. iirc, nautilus handles auto-mounting removable
media for Gnome, so it makes sense that it has a process lurking in the

I'll have to follow Chris' advice and check for known bugs. He's right
in that I'm probably not the first user to have this problem.

Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca>