[kwlug-disc] upgrading hardware/64bit OS

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Mon Aug 30 10:43:14 EDT 2010

My wife is running Mandriva(32bit) on her business computer with a
couple of gigs of ram.  Everything runs fine except her windows
bookkeeping app.  I've got virtualbox installed to run windows and it's
just slow -  slow enough that she mentions it.

My thinking is that she needs more RAM.  To get more RAM, she really
needs a 64 bit OS.  For a 64 bit OS, I need a machine that has a
processor that will work with that (is that correct?  I've tried to
install mandriva 64bit before on other machines and it objected because
the hardware wasn't 64 bit).

Am I on the right track here?  Upgrade her hardware to a new processor
with lots of RAM, then upgrade the OS to take advantage of the RAM, then
virtualbox will run faster?  If so, what kind of hardware should I be
looking at, processor-wise and how much ram would you get?

g.