[kwlug-disc] USB/Firewire cameras under Linux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 17 20:04:47 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM, R. Brent Clements <rbclemen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Is anybody here using webcams (or something more substantial) under
> Linux?  I am going to need a few cameras for a project and making
> heads or tails of the compatibility lists I have found is proving to
> be tough.  Preferrably something that is still widely available.  I
> have access to enough wholesale suppliers that I can probably find
> whatever you are using if it is still available.

I don't know about desktop ones, but I had at least 2 laptops that come with
built-in webcams, and they work out of the box. Nothing special to
configure.
Skype for Linux uses them without any issues. Kopete shows that it can
enable it for IM, but I have not tried to use it in IM.

lsusb says the following is the ID for one that works:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b070 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.