[kwlug-disc] USB Webcam curious behaviour

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sat Aug 14 14:17:21 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 09:20:42AM -0700, Raul Suarez wrote:
> When I plug just the usb webcam it works, when I have the wireless
> mouse plugged it stops working.

In addition to the plain lsusb output, try comparing 'lsusb -v' as well.
First without the mouse, then after you plug in the mouse.

Also check if there are kernel modules involved.  Does a module get loaded
when you plug it in, or does it just use a userspace library?  That might
help narrow down the problem, whether it is a kernel issue or a libusb
userspace issue.

And finally, you might try using usbmon to see where it stops.  Try using
the webcam without the mouse, and capture the log.  Then plug in the mouse
and try the same thing, and see where it hangs or fails.

- Chris