[kwlug-disc] installing Ubuntu into /dev/sda9 ?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 1 23:54:13 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 11:37:19PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> William Park wrote, On 08/01/2010 10:56 PM:
> >I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 into /dev/sda9 (one of logical
> >partitions).  Problem is that I can't get Grub to install into
> >/dev/sda9.  If I install Grub to MBR, then Ubuntu boots fine.  But, I
> >specify /dev/sda9, then it looks like nothing gets installed there.
> >
> >I really prefer to install any boot loader into "root" partition, and
> >each partition should be independent and not know what's on other
> >partitions.  I can do this with Fedora and OpenSUSE, both uses Grub.
> >But, not with Ubuntu, Mint, or MEPIS.
>
> Are you saying if you try this with Fedora or OpenSUSE this is working
> for you?
>
> i.e. If so, this isn't a hardware issue. Hmmm. (I've seen cases where
> you have to do this as MBR no longer works. i.e. Beginning of the disk
> was shot, but rest of it was OK.)
>
> IIRC, you're supposed to be able to do what you're trying to do.
>
> Is it only sda9 / that disk it's doing this on? Can you swap a couple
> disks or something? (See that the problem doesn't follow the hardware?)

I thought it was SATA driver issue, since Centos 5.5 complains about 24
partitions in /dev/sda.  So, I installed Slackware into /dev/sda9, and
no problem.  It did complain about "more than 16 partitions" while
installing LILO within install environment, but no complaints installing
LILO within full OS environment.

I'm just wandering, may be I'm the only one stupid enough to install
various Linux distros into logical partitions of /dev/sda. :-(

--
William