[kwlug-disc] Gnome statistics: Redhat 16 - Canonical 1?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Aug 1 22:16:09 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Rashkae <rashkae at tigershaunt.com> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>

>> No wonder Mark Shuttleworth decries Tribalism
>>

>> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/07/30/1855203/Tribalism-Is-the-Enemy-Within-Says-Shuttleworth
>>
>> This the first time that notice unhealthy rivalry between Canonical and
>> Redhat,
>> or has this been going on for a long time. If it is recent, what triggered
>> it?
>>

> I'm going to regret sticking my nose into this one, I'm sure.
>
> I'm too lazy to google the link, but there was a thread not so long ago
> where Mark Shuttleworth accuses RedHat of behaving like any other
> proprietary software company

The link by the ex-Redhat guy ended on this note:

"Which probably explains why Red Hat has a billion dollars of cash in the
bank <http://ostatic.com/blog/yet-another-robust-quarter-for-red-hat>, while
Canonical is still continually reinventing itself to make any profits
at all<http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/68923.html?wlc=1280379958>
."

He is measuring success/impact by financial figures only, even though he was
a community manager and understands that community-cred counts for much in
the FOSS worlds. There is also marketing to an audience (consumer desktop)
that Redhat abandoned a long time ago.

I would not have bothered with knowing the Debian way, had it not been for
Ubuntu (both desktop and server).

because the officially supported version of 'Red Hat' is not free as in
> beer.  (never mind that CentOS is practically identical to fill that void.)
>  He ruffled some feathers with the comment but refused to back down,
> essentially calling Red Hat the Microsoft of Linux.  Fast forward to present
> day, with these new statistics turning the heat towards Canonical, and
> suddenly, he's high minded and decrying tribalism.....
>
> Don't get me wrong... I love Ubuntu and what Canonical has done... but I
> think that for all his success, Mark would better represent the community by
> putting a sock in it.

Seems there is a feud going on then ...

Does not matter much "who started it" (a la kindergarten), what matters is
that it should be toned down and become a rational debate, not a name
calling match ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.