[kwlug-disc] Gnome statistics: Redhat 16 - Canonical 1?

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sun Aug 1 21:40:04 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 21:12 -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> Some Gnome statistics were published, and some are spinning it
> as "Redhat contributes 16 to 1 more than Canonical".
>
> For example: ex-Community manager for Redhat:
>
> http://gregdekspeaks.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/red-hat-16-canonical-1/
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/08/01/0326208/First-GNOME-Census-Results
>
> I find reducing "contribution" to being defined by amount of patches
> or lines
> of code to be at least myopic and/or biased.
>
> Redhat exited the consumer desktop market a long time ago, and Ubuntu
> filled in that void. They package and polish existing software into a
> good
> product, and built a community around it. That is their contribution,
> not just
> code ...
>
> No wonder Mark Shuttleworth decries Tribalism
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/07/30/1855203/Tribalism-Is-the-Enemy-Within-Says-Shuttleworth
>
> This the first time that notice unhealthy rivalry between Canonical
> and Redhat,
> or has this been going on for a long time. If it is recent, what
> triggered it?
> --
> Khalid M. Baheyeldin

Ha!  That's funny.  I wonder what member of the weasel family urinated
in the ex-RH'ers coffee that morning?

Seriously, looking at the stats, I see volunteers and unknown doing 40%
of the commits.  If you want to go by that (poor) measure, none of the
for-profit crowd has anything to talk about lest they want to called out
for riding community coattails.  My question is how many of the 40% are
Debian/deb people aka Ubuntu backend?

Maybe Debian and family have twice the commits of RH?