[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu/flash

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Apr 30 23:23:26 EDT 2010

Brian Nickle wrote, On 04/30/2010 10:09 PM:
> I've been using Grub4dos to boot iso files directly from a flash drive. Its
> easy to change the iso file when there is an update and you can run multiple
> iso from one flash drive.
>
> The biggest downside is I can't seem to figure out how to get iso files that
> use grub as their boot loader to boot properly.

Really guessing here, but:

I assume it makes no sense / doesn't work to put daemon tools lite or
appropriate thing to open up / interpret the .iso file? I'm probably
misunderstanding here. Grub4dos isn't full grub IIRC, there are
limitations.

Would it work / make more sense to have two partitions on the flash -
real Grub (Ext2) on the first, and vfat on the second that contain the
.iso files, then fudge with menu.lst to point to iso1.iso, iso2.iso,
etc.? i.e. Would real grub provide the functionality you're not quite
getting there with grub4dos?

	You can you run one of the popular windows ext2 r/w
installable filesystems, if that's your bent.