[kwlug-disc] peoples' thoughts on apple, adobe and flash?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Apr 30 12:39:11 EDT 2010

Reading the article:

"is becomes even worse if the third party is supplying a cross
platform development tool. The third party may not adopt enhancements
from one platform unless they are available on all of their supported
platforms." reminds me of the Java wars. Or any other evolving
standard - HTML or CSS, anyone, and the lags of browser support for them.

To say "Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript" then say "We know
from painful experience that letting a third party layer of software
come between the platform and the developer ultimately results in
sub-standard apps" seems ...

"Flash is a cross platform development tool. It is not Adobe’s goal to
help developers write the best iPhone, iPod and iPad apps.", of course
not, 'cause if they achieved that goal, they might get more customers
and make more money! Across more platforms even. What apple is really
saying here, as well, is we don't care about cross-platform
compatibility and open standards.

"Everyone wins – we sell more devices" - truth, finally. Shades of
Android.

"Flash was created during the PC era – for PCs and mice." and we
aren't PCs. I'm a Mac ...
- so, we're a computer like PC, but we're better ...

<sigh>

Regardless, in the end, flash is Evil.