[kwlug-disc] Should drives in a raid perform alike?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Apr 30 12:19:35 EDT 2010

It would be interesting to know:
- both drives purchased at same time? (i.e. Should be relatively close
in internals/firmware)
- is OS drive on same controller?
- if you reverse the connectors of the data drives on the controller
do the stats follow. (I'm wondering if busy on OS with 1st drive, done
by time of 2nd drive, but you'd think the stats would be independent
of that. Which might leave the controller order as a factor.)
   - Not sure you could just swap them safely. Drive 'letter' changes,
etc. fstab may be at UUID, which would be good in this instance for
less likelihood of problem, but I'd also guess the RAID is set at a
lower level / before that.