[kwlug-disc] SSDs and TRIM

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Apr 29 23:28:23 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 18:18 -0400, Lori Paniak wrote:
> I don't think TRIM is really that important (ducks).  I am using an
> Agility SSD from OCZ with the current (?) ver. 1.5 firmware with ubuntu
> 9.10 on my laptop.  The disk supports TRIM, but also has an internal
> "idle Garbage Collection" routine. Empirical evidence suggests that the
> drive performance has not degraded substantially in six months with only
> the GC routine and no TRIM.

No need to duck, from me at least. This is my first SSD, and it's
currently not arrived.

> I don't really speak bonnie output, but I think it says 170MB/sec reads
> and 50-60MB/sec writes. Pretty much like new.  And I routinely fill the
> drive and have to delete various isos and VM images.  What really kills
> bonnie performance is running it on the encrypted home folder.

I'll have to run bonnie when I get my drive. I'm getting the 60GB OCZ
Agility, so I should be pretty close. I'll run with and without my
ecryptfs.

> Having TRIM operating in conjunction with GC apparently does get you a
> few more points of performance back after disk ops.  See for example:
>
> http://www.oczenterprise.com/whitepapers/ssds-write-amplification-trim-and-gc.pdf

This is a pretty informative paper. Thanks for this.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca
w: http://chrisirwin.ca