[kwlug-disc] Linux is lagging behind

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Thu Apr 29 14:34:56 EDT 2010

With the proliferation of mobile OS's, how come basically everything is
still closed source?  Rim, apple, sanyo, on and on, they've all got
closed OS's for their phones and mobile devices.  And Google's doesn't
count, that's still commercial.

Am I wrong on being surprised that I can't download the latest copy of
mobile linux and dump it on my phone?  I know that some of this is due
to closed hardware limitations, but somehow, someway linux needs to be
pushing forward on this front before consumers settle on a non-linux OS.

I think all these closed OS's are stifling creativity, and they're
certainly causing my inability to have any 'choice'.

-- g.