[kwlug-disc] SMTP from Rogers network

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 28 21:25:55 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 04/28/2010 3:01 PM:
>
>  I run some stuff on the home server that emails me (e.g. various checks,
>> monitoring, backup, ...etc.). I configured Postfix to tunnel that through
>> my
>> smtp box like so. Works well.
>>
>> relayhost = [smtp.example.com]:587
>>

> Sadly, since I don't have a hosted server, that doesn't work for me or
> others who might be reading / interested in this thread.
>
> If we want our own mail server, be it to receive or send to other servers,
> sending to/from 25 will be required. Assuming no ability to relay.

It only becomes a problem if the only server that needs to send email is
the one behind Rogers.

Take this example:

You have the domain example.com. It has many physical/logical machines.

Say home.example.com is the one behind Rogers. It cannot accept port
25, and is blocked from sending on it as well. This is for good reason, so
Rogers can decrease spam sent from infected machines.

But for that domain, you have www.example.com which is your web server.
You also have another machine called smtp.example.com, and both are
outside the Rogers network.

The smtp.example.com machine has an SMTP server on it, be it postfix
or exim or something else. They accept email from outside sources and
send it to you, or the POP/IMAP box is on it as well.

Now home.example.com can send email normally using the one  line
in postfix on that machine.

Works well. Yes, it requires an outside machine.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.