[kwlug-disc] Interested in a presentation about Privacy?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Apr 27 13:42:31 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 08:35:14AM -0400, Richard Weait wrote:
> And re: aliases,
>
> Really?  You really want to be in the web of trust as "Dragon Slayer13-1985" ?

Depends.  Being in the the web of trust as Dragon Slayer13-1985 doesn't
mean I can't be in it as Chris Frey as well.

Back in the day, there used to be hacker groups such as L0pht, Phrack, etc.
and various other personalities would show up on lists such as
cypherpunks, Bugtraq, and full-disclosure.  Some of these people, at least
at first, were only known by their handles, as I recall.

Even today, the list of L0pht members at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L0pht
shows their aliases.  They are better known by their alias than their
real name.

Even O. Henry and Mark Twain are better known by their aliases. :-)

If you needed to get in touch with someone securely, and you only knew them
as Dragon Slayer13-1985, wouldn't you prefer they were in the web of
trust than not?

- Chris