[kwlug-disc] YAK Internet + Home Phone deal for Kitchener

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Apr 25 23:14:53 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 04/25/2010 4:01 PM:
> So, Yak did not install them because you already had one there? What if
> there is none. Is it part of the installation that they do?

This is trivial Khalid, probably most any of us would be happy to come
help out. Assuming you have a demarc. i.e. Where the line comes in, or
rather, where your home phone connects in to that spot, is the wire in
strands or a (modular) plug?

Just get a splitter for a buck - plug the current wire into the
filter, then the filter into the splitter, and the splitter into where
the wire currently goes. At the other spot of the splitter, plug the
DSL modem in, and get on with your day.

Or, do the same anywhere along that wire that is convenient, before
the wire splits off for the different jacks into your home.

As for your alarm system stuff ... I'd contact your alarm company.
They have to have answered this questions dozens of times, and
probably have a stock web page or diagram you can acquire. The
document would probably address your concerns in a manner you'd
probably find reassuring.

	Certainly such a diagram would be sufficient, for anyone comfortable
with putting the filter in for you.

	Phone wiring is astonishingly simple. Making a hole in the wall for a
jack, in the correct spot the first time, and doing a neat job of it,
is way harder!