[kwlug-disc] YAK Internet + Home Phone deal for Kitchener

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Apr 25 23:14:43 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 04/25/2010 6:47 PM:
> That is kind of slow. About half the speed of Rogers.
>
> Here is mine:
>
> http://www.speedtest.net/result/794206388.png
>
> I get 1 MB/sec regularly.

Khalid what Rogers service are you / were you on / speed?

Also, you might ask yourself just how much speed you really need. And
all I mean by that is, between the average (?) 4 - 5 Mbps DSL service,
and the 6/8/10 Mbps Rogers service, how often are you really going to
notice the difference?

	I get if you're saturated at 4 - 5 Mbps already. And I also get that
on most any download of more than a few seconds, you're off getting a
coffee, going to the bathroom, or (finally) spending time with your
family, anyways. The difference in download speeds, sometimes seems
hardly worth the price difference. But, YMMV.

	Certainly, having Rogers Express, I'll never go back to a 1 M
service. So I can appreciate the concern. But I'm not convinced,
myself, yet, that I'd really notice the difference between the two,
for the price. Especially if I ever get fully VoIP, lose the land
line, then have to pay for dry loop! <sigh>

> If Rogers did not have cap (60GB in my case), which I occasionally exceed, I
> would have stayed with them. That, and the fact that the phone is a POTS
> line with free features thrown in ...

Ignore the cap, just assume per month cost $25 more than they say and
get on with it.

Mind you, the inability to talk out to SMTP is a real PITA, and no
doubt a deal breaker for you. (Rogers, that is.)