[kwlug-disc] Interested in a presentation about Privacy?

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Thu Apr 22 16:39:57 EDT 2010

We're wildly offtopic here but I thought I'd respond.

I am interested in privacy from the perspective of how we, as canadian
businesses, need to conduct ourselves in order to comply with canadian
law.  For example I'm reasonably certain that everyone who runs a
business, even a small one, needs a published privacy policy on their
website.  They also need privacy guidelines written down.  And they need
to review those guidelines with all staff at least annually.  Anyone out
there not doing that?  Probably most.

In terms of privacy surfing, I suspect my concerns are more specific
than most.  I'm pretty mundane in my surfing habits so the fact that my
ISP can see everything isn't something I lose any sleep over.  However I
am much more concerned about the online companies that collate data for
whatever purposes they  want - and they're collecting it without the
public even having a clue that it's being collected or how it can be
crossreferenced.

For example, I hear stories about ISP's selling their surfing data to
markting companies.  Is your ISP selling data out the back door?  Anyone
here actually know for sure that they're data isn't being sold?  I'm
told it's more common than most would believe.

I guess to put it another way, my concern is less about privacy from a
'private' perspective, and more about disclosure of what data you are
handing out and how it's being used.  I can pretty much assure you that
even the kooks on this list :) aren't anywhere near tinfoil hat as to
what's actually going on.  Google's only one well known example that
tracks your surfing across almost all websites - even when you think it
isn't.  Ever visit a site that has Google adwords? Boom, Google's
tracking you.  Visit a site that has Google analytics?  How many sites
out there aren't running at least one of those.  Add in the data they
collect from toolbars (even just that green pagerank toolbar) and they
know all.