[kwlug-disc] [OT] Canada's privacy commissioner vs. Google

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Wed Apr 21 10:54:58 EDT 2010

Canada's privacy commissioner has sent a letter to Google raising
concerns about privacy.

It's not just Google though - I believe many Canadian business owners
are breaking privacy laws as well by using Google analytics on their
website.  Using Google analytics on one's website provides Google with
every bit of information about one's visitor's to Google - and that's
something not being addressed and revealed to visitors in published
privacy policies (which I think we're also required to publish in
Canada).  It's not like privacy polices say stuff like "when you visit
our website we maintain strict privacy guidelines.  Except that we also
provide every bit of information about you to Google as well."

This privacy issue still has the potential to be Google's Achille's heel.