[kwlug-disc] Newbie... Playing with Linux etc...

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Tue Apr 20 10:40:48 EDT 2010

----- "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> We hear this speech of "PostgreSQL is better, MySQL is crap" too
> often, but when it comes to people putting their code where their
> mouth is, the reality is different.

The term "good enough" may have applied to MySQL in the beginning. At the time when web software exploded MySQL was easy and speedy. The advanced features that PostgreSQL may have had at the time weren't important enough to give it market share.

Now it's ubiquity that gives it value. And many still think it's better for their purpose.

SQLite seems to have the same history, except for embedded applications.

I'm sure PostgreSQL has a similar history within its market.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware