[kwlug-disc] Newbie... Playing with Linux etc...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Apr 19 22:59:39 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Fernando Duran <liberosec at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 4/19/10, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
> > SQLite is not really an option for many real life situations, where you
> need concurrency (e.g. a web site that uses a content management system).
>
> I disagree. Sqlite has a concurrency issue (locks) with _writes_ only, so
> most web sites (lots of reads, infrequent writes) can be good candidates for
> it. See for example http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html ("Websites"
> section) or http://www.appliedstacks.com/NewestFirst/SQLite .

That is interesting information.

I assume it has table (or even database) level locks, a problem I see with
MySQL MyISAM, and use InnoDB which has row level locking to get around it.

I have several web sites where I have migrated from Mysql to sqlite and I
> couldn't be happier: it's faster with less CPU and memory footprint. Plus
> I've seen too many mysql corruptions and data losses; I only use mysql if
> there is absolutely no other alternative and I don't know anybody with
> experience in both mysql and postgres that doesn't agree.

I rarely see corruptions and data loss on MySQL, unless the server was not
shutdown properly and heavily written to tables are the ones affected
(normally cache tables, or log tables, which can be discarded since it is
transient information, at least in Drupal).

Any of those sites using the database heavily, like a CMS (Drupal for
example?)
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.