[kwlug-disc] YAK Internet + Home Phone deal for Kitchener

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Apr 15 14:41:45 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Colin Mackay <zixiekat at gmail.com> wrote:

> You have to call them to check, but even when they say you're in the
> correct area, you may not be.  From what I'm told, the tool they use
> to check is a simple measure of distance.  It plots your location on a
> map and tells them that you are within 5km of a central office where
> they support 10Mbps.  The problem with that, is telephone lines do not
> run in a straight line and you may end up being quite a bit more than
> 5km away as the wire is laid.  They don't find this out until they've
> put the order through with a 3rd party (of whom I cannot find the
> name).  At that point, they push your install out and give you 5Mbps.
> This is why the flyer says "Up to 10 Mbps".
>
> There is still no throttling or bandwidth cap, from what I am told...
> But, even if I am throttled, I'll live with it.  I was paying more for
> 5Mbit from Bell, with a 60gig cap.  I don't mind waiting longer for
> something if it means I won't get charged extra for going over my cap.

I am on Rogers, and there is a 60GB cap as well, with $2 per GB of overage.
We are OK for a month or so, then we have one month of overage. Not sure
why. One of the reasons I want an OpenWRT router to trace that to specific
computers/users.

The phone is also attractive being cheaper than Bell, with features thrown
in for free.

>  My install is tomorrow.  At the moment, I am borrowing a neighbors
> WiFi and yes, they know about it.

Let us know how the install goes and what your experience is after using it
for a few days.