[kwlug-disc] Outsmarted by bash && if

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Wed Apr 7 20:21:12 EDT 2010

Dear very clever list,

I am trying to write a simple bash script to (re)start a process given
the logical "and" of two conditions.  I think it should look like this:

if [ -n "$STICK" ] && [ -n "$STATUS" ]; then
	      /sbin/ifup ppp0
fi

When STICK and STATUS are non-empty strings I would like ifup to run.
This works if I just use one condition, but I cannot figure out the
correct syntax for the AND-ed case.  I've tried (seemingly) all
combinations and locations of brackets without success.

Anyone out there care to point out my trivial error(s)?

Thanks!
Lori