[kwlug-disc] Anyone know of a free web forum equivalent to Google/Yahoo Groups?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Sep 30 13:34:14 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> Anyone know of a free web forum equivalent to Google/Yahoo Groups?
>
> Yahoo groups appears to have more functionality than Google, but neither
> appear to have the concept of 'sub-forum' (sub-groups?).

Nope.

I can offer some experience from the OSM community though.  Wait! I'm
not going to ramble on about how amazing OpenStreetmap is or why you
should participate... Ooops.  Sorry.

Right.  Experience from OSM.

There are dozens of OSM mailing lists for sub groups, for different
languages, special interests, etc.  One predictor of a successful
branch group is the reason for requesting the new group.

If a sub-group wishes to have a new list so they aren't drowned out by
discussion on the main list, do not create the sub-list.

If a sub group is so prodigious that they threaten to drown out the
main group, create a sub-list for them.

There are other issues as well, but watch this one before you divide
your community into some many sub-groups that they all fail for lack
of critical mass.