[kwlug-disc] Future of [Rogers] PVR (wrt HDMI)? Black boxes? MythBuntu?

Tue Sep 29 07:47:51 EDT 2009

On September 28, 2009 11:36:18 pm unsolicited wrote:
> Thank you so very much for this, you're going on my Christmas e-mail list!
> PLEASE tell me someone took video of your contortions!

No videos of my contortions, sorry.  :-)

A couple of updates:

1) I've lost all of the weak stations. I thought perhaps it was due to all of
the rain and cold weather, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  The
antenna may have moved a little. I'm not terribly worried. CBC, CTV and CHCH
(I'm not sure this IS global, they seem to do nothing but play old movies) are
all strong, and I'm sure with some tweaking I'll get the weak stations back.

2) On a recommendation, I added a distribution amp in the basement, even
though it's only distributing the signal to the HVR-2250. No change. At all. I
was clear with the Rat Shack guy I'd be bringing it back, so I'm not worried.
:-)  I was pretty sure it wouldn't have made any difference.

3) I haven't built the coax loop balun yet. It's cut and shaped but not
soldered, and I still have 100' of RG6 from the amp to the wall where 25' will
be more than sufficient.  Gotta crawl back up there and drill a hole down into
the wall so I can hide the cable and close the attic access.

Anyway I'm a pretty happy camper. Once the mess in the closet is cleaned up,
my wife will be pretty happy, too. :-)  Mythtv's recording the CBC morning
news for me again, and not only is Rick Mercer starting up again tonight, but
Dragon's Den is tomorrow!  If I can get CITY to come in reliably there's
Hell's Kitchen and The Biggest Loser coming in for my wife as well.

http://www.mixdown.ca/~andrew/mythatsc.png

-A.