[kwlug-disc] Public photo taking / posting - experiences & gotchas?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Sep 25 14:03:42 EDT 2009

I know this really isn't a list question, except readers do use
computers and have experiences to share, and, it ties in with the
recent Copyright threads.

I took quite a few pictures at last weekend's Kitchener-Waterloo Human
Society SurfDogs. http://kwhumane.com/ [That's actually one of my
shots, down on the left side, below 'Surf Dogs 2009 Update'. Cool!]
They have a facebook presence as well.
http://www.facebook.com/KitchenerWaterlooHumaneSociety.
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=168142840169&ref=mf. [Pics 2-
5 are mine - even more way cool.]

I'm considering uploading photos somewhere, such as flickr. I see
flickr will maintain copyright. They even comprehend Creative Commons,
and so on. But they don't maintain Exif data. I could probably write
on the KWHS facebook wall with a link to wherever, once posted.

Anyone have pros / cons, suggestions, suggested sites, for this photo
posting? Is there value in myspace, instead, in case some blog or
other inane material makes sense?

It's been a while since I've looked into or thought about taking
pictures in public places. Hadn't even thought about the private /
commercial aspects of taking pictures, let alone getting releases signed.

Did come across
http://ambientlight.ca/laws.php#You_are_guaranteed_the_right_to_take_photographs.

How much more / deeply need I think about or consider such?

[I carte blanche release you all - you are not lawyers, you are not
providing an actionable legal opinion, yada, yada, yada.]