[kwlug-disc] 64 bit install

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Sep 24 20:02:19 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 7:06 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Insurance Squared Inc. wrote, On 09/24/2009 1:33 PM:
>
>> To run 64 bit installs of linux, do I need 64 bit hardware?  I tried to
>> install on a Xeon machine and it objected that the hardware was only 32 bit.
>>  (It's a 32 bit machine for the same reason I drive a Chrysler.  All I could
>> afford at the time :) ).
>>
>> In the same vein, if I install a 32 bit install of say Mandriva on a
>> machine with 8 gigs of ram, would one expect that the kernel being installed
>> will address all 8 gigs?  i.e. do distro installs check for that stuff
>> automatically these days?
>>

> For the group: But 32-bit apps will run on a 64-bit install?

If you rely on a comprehensive repository such as Debian/Ubuntu, then the
applications will all be available in 64 bit, and you do not worry about
what
is 32 and what is 64.

> For Glenn: So, given the replies, are you sure you want to run a 64-bit
> distro? You have a large SQL server?
>
> So, better question for the group: What sorts of apps make running a 64-bit
> install worthwhile?

I have been running all my servers, and all clients on 64bit for a few years
now. These are LAMP applications, and everything Just Works (TM).

You don't worry about memory limitations, a server with 4GB will work.
Servers with less, can be upgraded without having the pain of an
upgrade/re-install.

Just a few weeks ago when I got a new laptop, I switched to 64 bits Kubuntu
9.10, and so far, everything I care about works. There are no 64-bit
annoyances at all.
The annoyances that I do face are caused by KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.x, and are
unrelated to 64 bits.

Today, I am reinstalling one of my daughters' laptop with 64 as well.

- I'm guessing Apache will run very well either way. e.g. on 32-bit with
> bigmem / PAE.

Yes. It is cross platform, from Windows, *BSD, and several UNIX flavors, so
it does work whichever way.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com