[kwlug-disc] 64 bit install

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Sep 24 19:06:37 EDT 2009

Insurance Squared Inc. wrote, On 09/24/2009 1:33 PM:
> To run 64 bit installs of linux, do I need 64 bit hardware?  I tried to
> install on a Xeon machine and it objected that the hardware was only 32
> bit.  (It's a 32 bit machine for the same reason I drive a Chrysler.
> All I could afford at the time :) ).
>
> In the same vein, if I install a 32 bit install of say Mandriva on a
> machine with 8 gigs of ram, would one expect that the kernel being
> installed will address all 8 gigs?  i.e. do distro installs check for
> that stuff automatically these days?

For the group: But 32-bit apps will run on a 64-bit install?

For Glenn: So, given the replies, are you sure you want to run a
64-bit distro? You have a large SQL server?

So, better question for the group: What sorts of apps make running a
64-bit install worthwhile?

- I'm guessing Apache will run very well either way. e.g. on 32-bit
with bigmem / PAE.