[kwlug-disc] tab completion in SLES 11 seems intermittent

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Sep 24 05:04:54 EDT 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Chris Frey wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 03:49:27AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   $ gunzip <TAB>
> >
> > i get only six!  that would be /boot, /grub, and the four files there
> > that have a ".gz" suffix.  huh?  it's as if tab completion is trying
> > to do the completion intelligently, by giving me the stuff only with
> > .gz suffixes, but that doesn't explain the directories.
> >
> >   what's happening here?  i've never seen anything like it.
>
> It's a "feature."
>
> 	http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:The_Command_Line_Completion_in_bash_Does_Not_Work_as_Expected
>
> Some distros have a "bash completion" package that governs this... I don't
> know if SuSE is one of them.

  i eventually figured out it was something like this.  no, there's no
specific bash "completion" package that i can see, but there is a
/etc/bash.completion.d/ directory that i'm sure is all about this
feature, as well as /etc/profile.d/complete.bash.

  thanks.

rday

p.s.  just for fun, i'm immersing myself in suse linux in order to get
my novell certified linux administrator cert (CLA), then on to
becoming a certified novell instructor for their linux courses.  just
something to fill up my copious free time.  :-)