[kwlug-disc] Security arguments

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Sep 23 16:31:25 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 04:04:52PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Let alone in this day of rapid web deployment / refresh, where time to
> delivery is deemed crucial. Compiled source, particularly given the
> prevalence of 'script kiddies' (for lack of a better word, not meaning
> the usual, more, as Khalid points out, novices) implies a rather
> static design of demonstrably long term use.

I prefer to view using compiled languages as automatic debugging at the
least costly level.  If the compiler finds a bug as soon as I type
'make', it's cheaper to fix it there than if it crashes for the customer.

The more bugs a compiler can find for me, the better.

I take this compiler-loving to a bit of an extreme, perhaps, because
I use it as a sidekick to help me wrestle code and logic into shape.
And I definitely miss that sidekick when I use something like PHP.

I don't think that compiled == static.  Updating a website is about
the same whether using a scripted or a compiled language.  But the
extra compile step will show you some errors early instead of in the
browser window.

- Chris