[kwlug-disc] Asus EEE

Daniel Jolkowski danijolk at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 00:46:53 EDT 2009

I bought the EEE 701 - non surf it has a webcam and a bigger SSD when they first came out.
I promptly wiped the default distro and threw Archlinux onto it.  They have a pretty strong community based around the asus eee and the custom kernel boots in 8 seconds or something ridiculous like that.  It also covers the networking and custom keys and all that so you don't have to do much of anything beside boot this kernel.

I started to notice X crashing a lot with no real errors and firefox and other apps 'big' apps seg faulting.  I thought this was odd as I was generally using apps found in Xandros.  Reinstalled Xandros and its flakey as well.

I've never really figured out if this is my EEE, a bad stick or ram or Arch..  No one else on the list complains.  I put some foil under the keyboard and have /home and the firefox cache on a ramdisk and it helps but I still don't feel like its trustworthy.

Assuming its just my EEE and not Arch (mostly because no one else is complaining about the things I complain about) archlinux is really easy to install and the kernel is optimized for the hardware - and updatable via pacman so easy to maintain.

Daniel