[kwlug-disc] Future of [Rogers] PVR (wrt HDMI)? Black boxes? MythBuntu?

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:03:39 EDT 2009

Andrew Kohlsmith (Mailing List Account) wrote:
> On September 15, 2009 09:15:54 am unsolicited wrote:
>> Last I looked, all Rogers boxes are Scientific Atlanta (taken over by
>> Cisco). Pretty much any Scientific Atlanta box is acceptable as a
>> Digital Terminal, you just have to call up Rogers and let them know.
>> (Not all SA boxes have HDMI out. And some are PVR's.) Much like firing
>> up a non-carrier non-gsm cell. [Determining this took quite some
>> searching of the Roger's site and '{search term} site:rogers.com' type
>> googling.] Not much difference between disabling features on these SA
>> boxes and doing the same on a cell. <sigh>
>>
>> Any encounters with people hacking their SA box to (re)enable these
>> disabled features? e.g. Firewire?
>
> Yes, they are Scientific Atlanta boxes, which Myth does have some knowledge of.
> Unfortunately, it's a matter of Rogers implementing the Broadcast Bit. I don't
> know of any way to get around this.
>
>>> I'm buying an 8' Yagi and LNA, mounting it on the roof and aiming it at
>>> the CN Tower. I'll be downloading my specialty content and pulling in
>>> CBC, CITY, Omni1/2 and Global in HD from Toronto.
>> Keep us posted as to your progress and success, please.
>
> Will do.  I've informed the wife that if she wants TV this winter I need to
> get this done before it gets cold. :-)

I'd love to year how it goes, planning on doing something similar
myself. Looks like all the digital channels we may be able to pick up
are UHF, so no need for a big VHF antenna (UHF-only antennas are often
cooler looking anyway IMHO).
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=109935

I'd love to know if anyone has managed to pick up Buffalo and Toronto
with something like the CM-4228.

__
Jason