[kwlug-disc] A karmic koala

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 19:55:05 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Daniel Villarreal
<youcanlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I rather like it. I am open-minded and appreciate any artwork
> that depicts a peaceful Koala, even one that shows a third-eye, but please
> be aware that a lot of people are going to shy away from anything like this,
> for religious reasons, just as certain people are never going to use
> Devil-Linux, no matter how good a GNU/Linux distribution it is, because of
> the name, and/or because of the logo.

That could be an issue...  But honestly, the poster (and the event)
are targeted at people who know what Ubuntu is, or at least what Linux
is, and are at least a little bit familiar.  The problem I'm having
coming up with a poster design right now is trying to make it obvious
at a glance that this is a computer thing and not some sort of
marsupial yoga thing.  If people show up assuming the latter, I
suppose we could just offer them cake.  Everybody likes cake.

I might de-emphasize the koala and have a big screenshot or something.
 Either way, tomorrow night I'm printing up whatever I have so I can
start posting.

> BTW, shouldn't the Dharmachakra symbol be held in front of the heart to
> indicate that the three jewels of Buddhism come straight from the heart ?

Possibly, but I'm going to choose to believe it's not, in fact, the
Dharmachakra, but it is the Karmic Koala giving Ubuntu the a-ok.
(Holly, the artist, is not totally unfamiliar with Buddhist
iconography, but I told her to have fun with it...)

Darcy.