[kwlug-disc] Encrypted file systems

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 17 20:29:19 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 04:37:46PM -0700, Raul Suarez wrote:

> This computer is dual boot: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS / Windows XP Home  and
> ideally he wants to be able to access the files from either OS.

One follow up thought to this: the big barrier to having good dual-OS
access is that I know of no decent filesystem that is fully supported
by both Linux and Windows. Linux has some NTFS support, but I
personally do not trust it with my data. That leaves FAT, which
sucks in a variety of ways.

This matters for TrueCrypt because it works by making an encrypted
partition or file container, then formatting that container using a
filesystem the OS understands.

- Paul