[kwlug-disc] Ontario GNU Linux Fest Carpooling

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Oct 13 16:42:25 EDT 2009

Carpooling is just ripe for a good Web2.0 application.

I've faked something with Google Maps at http://OGLFcarpool.notlong.com
where I'm inviting people who are offering a ride to plot their route,
and  people who need a ride to put a marker on the map.  The drivers can
adjust their route to include the markers.

The map is publicly editable, so there is some danger of vandalism.  A
*real* Web app should provide some protection from this, and should hide
phone numbers and e-mail addresses too.

And if anyone can show me how to draw arbitrary routes and points on
OpenStreetMap without affecting the underlying database I'll be very
happy to switch.