[kwlug-disc] DVCS advice needed

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:13:03 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Adam Glauser <adamglauser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've seen some comments that Git can track code as it moves between files.
>>  Is this true, and if so, how does this look in practice?  Can the other
>> DVCSes do this?
>
> I know Bazaar can't.  I'm skeptical about how well git can.
>
> What makes me skeptical is that I want to run something like 'git
> blame' and see the history of that *file* since it was created, no
> matter how many times it was renamed or moved.  I don't see how it can
> do that unless you tell it that that new file in that directory is
> actually that old file in the other directory.

Ahh, so that's what he means. I'm kind of skeptical too, since `git mv`
for moving and renaming seems to show up in the history as "Deleted file
A, and created file A`". Though then I `git blame` or `git log` one of my
`git mv`'d files, I can see it's complete history (from before and after the
move or rename). Is that what you are looking for?