[kwlug-disc] DVCS advice needed

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 13:31:24 EDT 2009

I have recently joined a small team of developers working on a
proprietary C#/ASP.NET application.  None of us have extensive
experience with version control, but we want to get started with it.

Since we don't have a connection to Subversion, I figure we may as well
start with a distributed system, since they seem to be more flexible
w.r.t. supporting changing workflows.

After doing some reading, here are my impressions of the three main
contenders.

Bazaar:
Focus on ease of use and flexibility of workflow.
Launchpad has been open-sourced, so we could run our own internal
Launchpad, which seems like a big benefit.

Mercurial:
Larger user base than Bazaar
Closer to Bazaar than git for ease of use

Git:
Powerful, but perhaps more complex than necessary.
Visual Studio integration by way of Git Extensions.

I've seen some comments that Git can track code as it moves between
files.  Is this true, and if so, how does this look in practice?  Can
the other DVCSes do this?

For the IDE users out there, how important is it for version control to
be integrated in your experience?