[kwlug-disc] KWLUG community projects

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Oct 2 17:46:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 03:16:58PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> reminds me how I so wish kwlug had a (community) project. Some way to
> get my feet wet without having to try to do the whole thing myself,
> alone, right off the bat.

Well, how about everybody list our projects?  You don't have to start
something fresh to jump in.  Critical mass is important as well... you
don't want to get stuck maintaining something if you just want to
get your feet wet, so look for something active.

Side note: the importance of critical mass is why I think we should be
careful starting a community project just for the sake of it.  You either
need to be very dedicated to keep your own project going (alone if necessary),
or join one that already has a community.

Projects I'm directly involved with:

	Barry - NetDirect's BlackBerry on Linux project, I'm project lead

Others I'm peripherally involved with:

	opensync - general syncing engine... could use documentation and a GUI

	mysql++ - C++ database wrapper for mysql... a stable, well-maintained
		project... has a Wishlist if you want to start hacking

	git - haven't done much lately, but an excellent, active community...
		very kernel-like community, but in user-space

	adonthell - C++ role play game engine... I completely ran out of time
		to contribute much lately, but there's possibility for
		writing stories, creating art, and coding here

	libtar - C library for accessing tar files... it is not well
		maintained for lack of time by all concerned... if you
		want a solid library *now* use libarchive, but if you want
		to hack or maintain, give libtar a try, and talk to me

And more practical:

	Ontario Linux Fest

I'm a programmer, so if there's a bug that I run into in any software I
use, or a feature that I need, I don't hesitate to join the community,
even just to drop off a drive-by patch.  That's why my peripheral list
gets longer as time goes on.

What other projects are people involved with, or lead?

- Chris

believed to be clean.