[kwlug-disc] Kolab/Zimbra/Citadel/OpenExchange/...

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Oct 2 15:30:07 EDT 2009

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 10/02/2009 10:55 AM:
> There are several projects out there that attempt to compete with
> Microsoft Exchange. They usually provide a mail server, a calendaring
> component, assorted clients (and payware connectors to existing
> clients like Outlook), and an LDAP store to tie everything together.
>
> Have you worked with such products? If so what have your
> experiences been?

I have not, but such has been much on my mind for some time now. The
farthest I have gotten is to do a fair bit of reading / searching /
investigating. I've concluded that egroupware is the way to go
(particularly for current maintenance, repository presence, and
Palm/sync), over opengroupware. For whatever that's worth. [Coming
from one who still has not done it.]

I think John, IIRC, pointed out some time ago that Exchange as
groupware vs Exchange as just a mail server hasn't really penetrated.
[Although given what we saw about SharePoint at wwitpro last, with
outlook / office pro / exchange MS is sure trying to make sure
Exchange and SQL are part of the invisible plumbing that you'll
inadvertently need, when you become convinced you ... must ... have
... SharePoint!!!]

So, when you talk about attempts to compete with Exchange, do you mean
Exchange as mail server or Exchange as groupware?